Cool Stuff

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Call of Cthulhu online, episode 1

So, my first Call of Cthulhu game where I am playing an investigator who is a Criminal.

I started by picking up one of my friends from the Asylum in Arkham, and went out to an old farmhouse to help my other friends investigate something strange that an acquaintance of ours, a Mr. Rupert Merriweather had asked us to finish on his death bed.  I had just arrived in Arkham in time to talk to him before he passed and he begged me to go out to this farmhouse in the middle of nowhere and help the guys investigate something he did when he was younger.  He showed my a list, and he was the last alive, said that they were keeping something bound in that farmhouse, but since he was dying, it would escape and he didn't want it to escape, they had done some kind of magic summoning thing at the farmhouse years ago.  Anyway, I said yes  to the request of a dying man.  Just because I break the law sometimes, doesn't make me a bad person.

So I picked up James, I think his name was James, from the Asylum and drove out to the farmhouse.  Saw the rest of the guys standing outside staring at a corpse of a raccoon.  I said, "Hi, what's going on?"

I was answered with shrugs and a recap of what exactly was going on out here.  Something about a murder, and trying to stop something from killing, and looking for a translation of a ritual to perform so we can stop the something from killing.

We went into the house, and looked in the front room, saw a couch and it smelled like rotting something coming from the couch.  Me and Zach, we'll call him Zach, moved the couch against the wall and found a nothing, but some rats.  Looked around the room and found a trap door that lead down to a cellar and another door leading into the attic.  Heard some noise coming from under the floor boards, like scurrying, stomping on the floor didn't stop it completely, just temporarily.  We moved on, there was five or six of us all together, but I don't we were all there.  Anyway, we moved on into the kitchen or back room, there were only two rooms.  Searched the back room, found the translation in an old cigar box, along with two containers with powder, one white and oily and the other brown and sawdust-like.  I pocketed a box of wooden matches, don't know why, maybe they'll be useful later.  The guys were talking like we found the powder of Ibn Ghazi.  I had no idea what they were talking about, but it burned in the fireplace after igniting the embers with an old wool blanket that was lying there next to an open can of beans, which were eaten by what we assumed to be a squatter or hobo, anyway, heard the noises again from under the floor and we went to go look in the cellar.  Found the hobo hiding.  Said he had leave or something, but we held him there and questioned him, he didn't seem all there in the head.  Said he had to get his things from the other room.  I said,"What, your can of beans?"  I don't think that is what he was talking about.  We let him go into the other  room, he bolted to and through the back door, we let him.  Nothing but field for thirty or forty yards, don't think that far, since he kinda disappeared while we was talking.  We should have been able to see him still, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen.  Thought he fell in a hole.  Nope, no hole, his tracks just stop in the grass, don't know what happened.  We started talking about what might of happened to him, and we came up with some pretty far-fetched, but logical ideas.  We can't see him, so he's invisible, but he doesn't leave tracks, so he can fly, but he's got to be able to fly and turn invisible at the same time, otherwise we would have seen what happened to him since we was pretty much staring right at him run away, couldn't have looked away more than two seconds.  Heard a noise, this one came from up in the attic.  Went to go up in the attic, take a picture with my camera since the only picture I did take was of a warding symbol that was drawn or carved all over the house.  So we was talking about what we were gonna do, and we heard something out in front and it was the hobo getting a ladder to go up in the attic.  He had the cigar box, don't know how he got it, but he did, and he was gonna give the cigar box back to what was in the attic, we helped him, didn't know he had the cigar box at the time, and I followed him up the ladder, but he said the door was stuck, told him to put some weight behind it and force it open, probably just snug.  He did, and he was overcome with some kind of mental thing and slammed the door open and threw the cigar box in the attic, and he must of slipped or something hit him, but he lost his balance and fell and broke the ladder.  He then ran out the back door again (which this might actually have been when he disappeared, not remembering correctly right now) and disappeared.  We then discovered that we needed that cigar box and something  about a murder victim missing a heart, the raccoon missing its heart, and something in the translation I think said something about needing a heart, not sure.  Anyway, we dragged the table up from the cellar and fixed its leg and used it to reach the door in the attic and I think Zack hoisted me up or held the table sturdy, anyhow, I poked my head up into the attic and ducked just in time to miss getting charged by something up there and the door closed, somebody tried again, same result as the door slammed shut, the guy with the shotgun, who may have Zack or Zetel, not sure, but he shot a hole in the ceiling.  I noticed something run past the hole and the cigar box was just sitting there within reach of the hole.  So I grabbed at it quick like, but held my hand back while something ran past, big enough to block out that hole, so I grabbed the box quick before it had time to turn around.  Said i was gonna lock it in my truck so we'd have it when we needed it.  As soon as walked outside to my truck, this thing jumped and ran towards the woods, looked like a shadowy fox.  Didn't know nothing, crazy looking thing, anyways, we went to the village after and bought some supplies to make amulets to put this warding symbol on and I picked some stuff up and some copper to melt into amulets.  We went back the next morning and prepped the house for the ritual we all needed to do at midnight, started that, saw the farmer's wife, thought she was dead with a missing heart and a hole in her chest, but she was there, hurting and calling for help, someone went outside to help, but then she attacked him, he pushed her away and came inside and locked the door, then that hobo came back, he was at the front door, he had a hole to where his heart was suppose to be.  All the while we was completing this ritual, finished it when that shadowy fox appeared in the middle of the symbol carved into the floor, it was the same symbol they used to summon this thing, so we had to say the summoning in reverse to get rid of this thing so it didn't kill anyone else.  After finishing, I think we departed to go to Arkham or someplace to rest.

****That's as best I can remember without cheating and looking at the scenario in the book, the only thing I looked at was the name of Rupert Merriweather.  So, don't know if this is exactly how it happened, but its close and that's really good enough for me.  Well, until this next Sunday when we meet again and we start episode 2 with I haven't foggiest idea.****

Until next time, safe gaming and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment