Cool Stuff

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Call of Cthulhu, home editon, episode 1

Well, I did it.  I ran a Call of Cthulhu scenario after playing only one game of it online and my players loved it.  Now I didn't do anything original, but it was still pretty awesome.  I actually ran The Haunting, the first scenario for Call of Cthulhu.  Now, I had a print out of the scenario from Chaosium.com titled the Quick-start Rules which has a copy of the scenario in it and is free to download on Chaosium's website, however, the discrepancies between the quick-start guide and the scenario written in the 6th edition CoC core book are slightly different.  One includes weird things you can find in the house, and the other doesn't include them.  The quick-start guide fails to mention the free-standing furnace in the living room, but you know its there from the mud room where you find the bags of coal for it.  It actually states for the free standing furnace in the living room, but the description for the living room doesn't mention the furnace at all.  The painting in the living room isn't in the 6th edition book, nor the clipping that describes a raid at a different church that's similar to the one that you know about at the Chapel of Contemplation.  There's one about a visiting doctor at the Roxbury  Sanitarium from Arkham, but only if you visit the sanitarium, which isn't part of the scenario unless you read ahead and make sure not to give them the information about the Marcario family, nor the business card that leads to Dunwich.  I understand that the painting leads to Dreamlands and the clipping leads to Kingsport.  Now Kingsport is not available as a pdf for download at the Chaosium website, but the others are or available in hard-copy, you can buy them from Chaosium.  Kingsport I can only find via book buying websites, which I kind of don't understand.
I've tried getting in touch with Chaosium, and not even an email saying we'll look into this.  I've had some issues, but the lack of response makes me feel like my business isn't appreciated.  I really love the game, and want to get these older out of print scenarios on pdf and then hard-copy so I have everything that's been published.  Granted, some of the scenarios aren't Chaosium's, at least one is by Grenadier and its called the Secret of Monhegan Island, not positive on the spelling, but pretty sure.  Now I don't know how much the gaming community has broadcasted their demands on the game companies as to having them actually act like a company that cares about your business with them, but its the principle of the matter that I'm talking about.  My reasons are my own and I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or start anything, but it just seems like good business to make the customer happy so they'll come back and do repeat business.

No comments:

Post a Comment